American Slang! In this lesson, you will learn a list 25 essential American slang words and phrases you might need to use in your daily life to sound like a native speaker.
List of 25 American slang you need to know:
1.Awesome = something is wonderful or amazing
- Eg. They had an awesome task ahead.
2. Cool = great or fantastic
- Eg. You’re so cool!
3. Dude = guy
- Eg. Hey, dude, what’s up?
4. Beat = to win
- Eg. You were born to beat!
5. To Hang Out = spend some time together
- Eg. I am not going to hang out with him anymore because he is sleazy.
6. Wheels = car
- Eg. He got some really nice wheels for his 18th birthday.
7. Hot = attractive
- Eg. She’ so hot in that dress!
8. Go banana = go crazy
- Eg. I will go bananas if my team wins the championship!
9. To Have a Crush = you’re attracted to somebody and would like them to be more than just your friend.
- Eg. It takes a minute to have a crush on someone, an hour to like someone and a day to love someone – but it takes a lifetime to forget someone.
10. Kicks = shoes
- Eg. I’ve got new kicks, are they nice?
11. My bad = my mistake
- Eg. Sorry, it’s my bad to leave you alone at the party.
12. Boo = boyfriend or girlfriend
- Eg. She is my boo.
13. Creeper = a weird person
- Eg. He is talking to a goose, such a creeper!
14. Ex = old boyfriend or girlfriend
- Eg. He’s different from my ex.
15. Hooked = you’re addicted to something and you can’t get enough
- Eg. I got hooked on TV when I was sick.
16. Sick = Cool
- Eg. You’re so sick!
17. Ripped = torn
- Eg. The flags had been ripped in two.
18. Dunno = I don’t know
- Eg. I dunno what you are talking about.
19. Keep it real = be yourself
- Eg. Keep it real! I believe you can do it!
20. Bro = friend
- Eg. Hey bro, what’re you doing?
21. Pro = Professional
- Eg. She’s a real pro.
22. Croak = to die
- Eg. She was croaked in the age of 45.
23. Dope = stupid person
- Eg. You’re a dope!
24. Crash = sleep
- Eg. She was crashing at a friend’s house after the party.
25. Gig = job or work
- Eg. She makes a bundle at her current gig.
26. Chicken = cowardly
- Eg. “He’s too much of a chicken to try that jump!” Tim said snidely.
27. Idiot box = the television
- Eg. He spends too much time indoors in front of the idiot box.