Home Is Where The Heart Is meaning! In this section, you will learn the meaning of this useful idiom with interesting example sentences to help you understand it clearly.
Home Is Where The Heart Is
Home Is Where The Heart Is Meaning
This idiom proverb, ‘home is where the heart is’, can be interpreted in two different ways. As each of these interpretations is in common use, it is worthwhile looking at them both, each in turn.
- Firstly, it can mean that wherever our loved ones are, that is our home. Thus, wherever a person’s heart is will be our true home. Thus, no matter where someone was born or grew up, their real home is the place that they care about most in the world. This place may or may not be the place that they grew up in.
- Secondly, it can mean that our love (our ‘heart’) is focused around the family home. A person’s heart will always be at home. This means that their love, affection and fond memories will always be tied to the place that they live.
Note: There are differences of cause and effect in each interpretation. In the first, love makes us feel at home. In the second, home makes us feel love.
Origin of “Home Is Where The Heart Is”
The origin of this proverb is unclear, however, the first written instances of ‘home is where the heart is’ appear in the mid-nineteenth century.
Perhaps the earliest of all is in a work by Joseph Neal in 1847. However, some people believe that the phrase was said earlier, in the mid-seventeenth century, by the jurist Edmund Coke.
It has also been used (later) by famous authors like Robert Burns and Anthony Burgess. Nowadays, people often use it without being aware of their origin.
Home Is Where The Heart Is Examples
- I don’t really care where we move, so long as we’re together. Home is where the heart is, after all.
- I grew up in Arkansas, but if home is where the heart is, then my home is in Paris, with all of you.
- I enjoy living in Australia full-time more than living in the States because home is where the heart is.
- If home is where the heart is, then it is also the primary source of loyalty.
- What it didn’t know was that home is where the heart is, and my heart lies in many places and I have many homes.
- And if a home is where the heart is, then maybe this one’s for me.
- But, despite travelling to all those places, home is where the heart is.
- Jennie does not learn that home is where the heart is or anything so shopworn.
Home Is Where The Heart Is Infographic