“Not Only But Also” – Usage and Examples. In this lesson, you will learn the use of “Not only…but also” with example sentences in English.
Not Only But Also | Rules
Not only … but also is used to connect and emphasize two phrases or two words in the same position. Parallelism should be the goal.
We use “not only A but also B” in formal contexts
- To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream. Not only plan, but also believe.
We use “do, does, did” if there is no main verb or auxiliary verb.
- Not only did you forget my birthday, but you also didn’t even apologize for forgetting it!
We can sometimes leave out “also”
- Home is not only where it is, but who they are.
We can use “not only” at the beginning of a clause to add emphasis.
- Not only are mothers not paid but also most of their boring or difficult work is unnoticed. (invert the subject and the verb)
Not Only But Also | Structure
Subject + Verb + not only + Adjective + but also + Adjective
- He is not only kind but also handsome.
- He is not only poor but also unemployed.
Subject + Verb + not only + Adverb + but also + Adverb
- She speaks English not only naturally but also fluently.
- Mark works not only carelessly but also hastily.
Subject + Verb + not only + Noun + but also + Noun
- I like not only ice cream but also yogurt.
- They visited not only Singapore but also India.
Subject + not only + Verb + but also + Verb
- She not only study hard but also plays hard.
- They not only speak Korean but also speak Chinese.