“Not Only But Also” – Usage and Examples. In this lesson, you will learn the use of “Not only…but also” with example sentences in English.
Not Only But Also | Rules
Not only … but also is used to connect and emphasize two phrases or two words in the same position. Parallelism should be the goal.
We use not only X but also Y in formal contexts
- The war caused not only destruction and death but also generations of hatred between the two communities.
- The car not only is economical but also feels good to drive. This investigation is not only one that is continuing and worldwide but also one that we expect to continue for quite some time.
We can sometimes leave out “also”
Example: I identified with Denzel Washington not only as an actor but as a person.
To add emphasis, we can use not only at the beginning of a clause. When we do this, we invert the subject and the verb
- Not only was it raining all day at the wedding but also the band was late.
- Not only will they paint the outside of the house but also the inside.
When there is no auxiliary verb or main verb be, we use “do, does, did”
Example: Not only did she forget my birthday, but she also didn’t even apologize for forgetting it.
Not Only But Also | Structure
Subject + Verb + not only + Adjective + but also + Adjective
- He is not only handsome but also intelligent.
- He is not only poor but also unemployed.
Subject + Verb + not only + Adverb + but also + Adverb
- He speaks Spanish not only naturally but also fluently.
- Mark works not only carelessly but also hastily.
Subject + Verb + not only + Noun + but also + Noun
- I like not only cheesecake but also cake.
- They visited not only Germany but also Spanish.
Subject + not only + Verb + but also + Verb
- She not only dances extraordinary but also sings perfectly.
- They not only speak French but also English.