“Not only but also” – usage and examples. Not only…but also is a correlative conjunction in English grammar. In this lesson, you will learn the use of “Not only…but also” with example sentences in English.
Not Only But Also | Rules
Used in formal contexts
- To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream. Not only plan, but also believe.
“Also” sometimes can be left out.
- Home is not only where it is, but who they are.
In case there’s is no main verb or auxiliary verb, we can use do, does, did.
- Not only did you forget my birthday, but you also didn’t even apologize for forgetting it!
If we want to emphasis on ST, we can put “not only” at the beginning of the clause.
- Not only are mothers not paid but also most of their boring or difficult work is unnoticed. (invert the subject and the verb)
Not Only But Also | Structure
Subject + Verb + not only + Adverb + but also + Adverb
- She speaks English not only naturally but also fluently.
- Mark works not only carefully but also effectively.
Subject + Verb + not only + Adjective + but also + Adjective
- He is not only kind but also handsome.
- He is not only short but also fat.
Subject + not only + Verb + but also + Verb
- She not only study hard but also plays hard.
- They not only speak Korean but also speak Chinese.
Subject + Verb + not only + Noun + but also + Noun
- I like not only ice cream but also yogurt.
- They visited not only Singapore but also India.