Possessive Pronouns! In this lesson, you will learn the definition and how to use possessive pronouns in English to master your grammar.
What is a Possessive Pronoun?
Possessive pronouns are words used to indicate that something belongs to someone or has a direct relationship with someone else.
Possessive pronouns are:
- Yours (singular)
- Yours (plural)
Possessive Pronouns Examples
This is my car, not your car.
=> This car is mine, not yours.
Examples with possessive pronoun – Mine:
- This car is mine.
- His ideas do not square with mine.
- Her right hand is inches from mine.
- Her parents were far more liberal than mine.
- Hi, Joe. I’d like you to meet a friend of mine.
- Sending you a kiss to say I’m glad that you are mine. Happy the day!
- Better is the neighbor’s hen than mine.
- He is not a friend of mine, only an acquaintance.
Examples with possessive pronoun – Yours:
- You roll my log and I’ll roll yours.
- Is she a friend of yours?
- Is Bob an old friend of yours?
- Wishing you and yours a happy new year.
- You probably picked up my keys instead of yours.
- Our house is not comparable with yours.
- She just bought a new car just like yours.
Examples with possessive pronoun – His:
- This is my brother ‘s book. It’s his.
- Is she a friend of his?
- You probably picked up my keys instead of his.
- This is our room, and his is just across the hall.
Examples with possessive pronoun – Hers:
- That skirt of hers is positively indecent.
- I dovetailed my work arrangements with hers.
- Your account of events corresponds with hers.
- Your account of events does not correspond with hers.
- He entwined his fingers with hers and looked into her eyes.
Examples with possessive pronoun – Ours:
- It is interesting to compare their situation and ours.
- He lived in a gentler age than ours.
- Your dormitory is no better than ours.
- She became a lifelong friend of ours.
- He summed up the way of ours in a few words.
- We were left with the impression that the contract was ours if we wanted it.
Examples with possessive pronoun – Theirs:
- How can we match our generosity against theirs?
- Our problems pale into insignificance when compared to theirs.
- His view eventually prevailed over theirs.
- They looked at our pictures, but they didn’t show us theirs.
- When our washing machine broke, our neighbors let us use theirs.
- We’ve kept our end of the deal – let’s see if they keep theirs.
- Other marriages might go stale , but not theirs.
- We built a new house up against theirs.
Possessive Pronouns | Infographic