The idiom “when it rains it pours” is a phrase commonly heard in everyday conversation today. Here you will find information on the true meaning of this idiom phrase and conversation examples in English.
Table of Contents
When It Rains It Pours
Meaning of “When It Rains It Pours”
The phrase “when it rains it pours” means multiple negative incidents or situations have occurred together within a short time period.
Examples of “When It Rains It Pours”
- “Well, first we had the car accident and then this fire burnt half of our house down. As they say, when it rains it pours .”
- “We just can’t seem to win a game this year. We started bad and have just gotten more awful. When it rains it pours I guess.”
- First, he had a terrible accident. Then, his wife had a heart attack. Really when it rains, it pours.
A conversation between co-workers.
- Friend 1: How are things coming along with the interview?
- Friend 2: So sad. I woke up early and prepare carefully. however, my car was broken on the way to the company. It took time to come there. When I came, my turn was passed.
- Friend 1: Oh, that’s bad. When it rains it pours.
“When It Rains It Pours” Synonyms
- Troubles never come singly
- Evil chance seldom comes alone
- Bad luck comes in three
- Bad luck never comes alone
- Trouble comes in three
- Misery loves company
- Misfortunes never come singly
- Bad things come in group
- Bad situations come in group
When It Rains It Pours Infographic